Update 4 July
The National Grid consultation closed on 16 June and Essex County Council and Tendring District Council, among many others, have strongly objected to the proposals calling for a strategic off-shore grid. Our own Parish Council’s response and other links to local and regional information is below . A key part of this proposal is a new National Grid substation in Tendring to connect to the new pylons. If the proposals go ahead, Ardleigh would be uniquely and profoundly affected due to a double line of pylons cutting through the Parish and at least one new substation. Many other Parishes would also be directly affected.
Last week we received messages from the two windfarm providers. We assume that your Council may also have been contacted direct?
• Five Estuaries have launched their consultation on the siting of their proposed underground cabling and new substation see www.fiveestuariesconsultation.co.uk. There are two public exhibitions (in Frinton, Weds 13 July, and Lawford, Thurs 14 July). Residents have been sent leaflets and they have offered to meet with Parish Councils (we will be taking up this offer).
• North Falls have contacted us regarding their own imminent consultation. Despite calls for co-ordination, we gather that they will be consulting separately on anther substation and underground cabling route, doubling the disruption and potential impact.
Tendring Show- Saturday 9 July Working with the Ardleigh Matters Group http://www.ardleighmatters.org.uk/, Ardleigh Parish Councillors will be staffing a stand on show day informing and answering questions, as well as distributing 5000 leaflets about the local impact to the crowd. Leaflets will be available from the stand. Please also come along to speak to us to find out more.
Update 16 June 2022. Our Parish Council response to the consultation has been submitted to National Grid and can be downloaded below.
There is lots of information available about the proposed plans to site a huge network of pylons and a series of new substations in the parish- see Ardleigh Matters – Ardleigh Matters Community Website- http://www.ardleighmatters.org.uk/. The proposed plans will have a big impact on the parish and its village & hamlets, result in the damage & loss of prime agricultural land and ecological habitats, and there is some evidence of health impacts too
Upgrading the grid and expanding green energy are both crucial to combatting the climate crisis - but a national & international problem needs a national & international solution, not a bodged short term fix We will be sharing resources here and via the Ardleigh Matters community pages to help you #makeanoise and get National Grid to deliver a national solution!
There is also a regional group https://www.pylonseastanglia.co.uk/ which is preparing a detailed response to the consultation which is expected to be referenced in our Parish Council's objection (to be discussed at the 13 June Parish Council meeting).
You have until 16 June to make your views known to National Grid - and here's how you can do it:
1. The Essex Suffolk Norfolk Pylons action group survey https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeBddWOeGvMMC84GtLJcmviskqdqXNq_0Z72QYwp4wcrkhSag/viewform - before 14 June
2. The National Grid consultation - before 16 June https://www.nationalgrid.com/electricity-transmission/network-and-infrastructure/infrastructure-projects/east-anglia-green
3. The petition is still live - please sign and share.
4. Write to your MP and the secretary of state (example of letter and email addresses on this page) Attend the National Grid Public Exhibition Saturday 28 May at Lawford Venture Centre, 10-4pm Sign the public petition Respond to National Grid’s public consultation by 16.06.22 9 see Follow Ardleigh Matters and Essex Suffolk Norfolk Pylons on Facebook for more info
Ardleigh-specific meetings - thanks to those who attended
Following on from the National Grid Lawford Exhibition, the purpose of these meetings was to provide more information to residents about the impact that the Pylons, Substations and undergrounding of cables will really have on the Parish of Ardleigh, surrounding Parishes and indeed the whole of the Norfolk ,Suffolk and Essex landscapes and way of life. We also wanted to highlight the alternatives, give guidance on how to write to appropriate people encourage everyone to sign the petition and give tips on completing the NG feedback form.
Drop-in session 2pm- 6.30pm on Wednesday 1 June on Saturday. Ardleigh Village Hall
Zoom meeting (for those unable to attend the drop in) 7.30 Wednesday 1 June
Slides in downloads below.